Havana, Nov 14 (EFE).- Colombia’s government and the FARC guerrillas published their modified peace agreement on Monday, six weeks after the initial deal was narrowly rejected by voters in a nationwide referendum.
“Colombians can now read in its entirety the new general agreement for the termination of the conflict and the construction of a stable and lasting peace, which incorporates the changes, clarifications and adjustments signed on Nov. 12,” the negotiating teams said in a joint statement from Havana.
The modified agreement is available online at www.mesadeconversaciones.com.co.
The statement said the new agreement had been strengthened thanks to the various tweaks and that it responded to the “concerns and suggestions made by different sectors of society,” the government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, guerrilla group said.
President Juan Manuel Santos, for his part, said on Twitter that the new agreement reflected proposals made by the “yes” and “no” campaigns in the aftermath of the Oct. 2 plebiscite and invited all Colombians to read over the changes.
The two sides announced on Saturday in Havana that they had reached a deal that incorporated some of the 500 changes proposed by the “no” camp.
The earlier peace deal was finalized in August after nearly four years of negotiations in the Cuban capital and signed a month later by Santos and FARC Commander Rodrigo Londoño Echeverri, a.k.a. “Timochenko,” in the northern Colombian city of Cartagena.
The new agreement is expected to be ratified by Congress and not by a new nationwide referendum.